This strengthening exercise works the abdominals, especially the obliques. It does not require any equipment and so can be done at home or in the weight room. This exercise is often used to improve pelvic mobility following an injury, as it helps to develop the stabilizer muscles in the hips.
- Hip Flexors
- Stand with the side of the body facing a wall.
- Press one hand on the wall and the other on the hip.
- Place the foot of the exterior leg behind the other leg.
- Incline the hip of the elevated leg towards the floor.
- Keep the back straight and contract the abdominals.
- Lift the hip up and to the center while contracting the obliques.
Keep the head aligned with the torso. Do not flex the torso. Never lock the knees.