This strength training exercise works on the internal rotators of the shoulders. It must be done on a training pulley. This exercise is often used as a rehabilitation exercise after an injury to the rotator cuff of the shoulder. The exercise can also be done with an elastic band. The pulley or elastic allows constant resistance during the eccentric portion of the movement.
- Serratus Anterior
- Pectoralis Major
- Install a handle on the lowest setting of the pulley.
- Stand next to the pulley, the torso straight.
- Place the feet at shoulder width, with the knees lightly bent.
- With the arm closest to the pulley grip the handle with the thumb pointing up.
- Keep the arm alongside the body and bend the elbow at a 90 degree angle.
- Place the forearm horizontally towards the pulley.
- Avoid arching the back.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Keep the head aligned with the torso.
- Pull the bar inward in a circular movement.
- Keep the arm alongside the body with the elbow bent at a 90 degree angle.
Keep the head aligned with the body. Keep the back straight. Keep the abdominals contracted. Keep the wrists straight. Never lock the knees.