A strength training exercise that targets the shoulder external rotator cuffs. You will need to perform this exercise with a pully or using a resistance band. The pulley or resistance band encourage resistance during the eccentric portion of the movement. This is a great exercise to build strength following a rotator cuff injury in the shoulder.
- Lower Trapezius
- Install a handle at the lowest level of the pulley.
- Stand next to the machine with the body straight.
- Place the feet at shoulder width with the knees lightly bent.
- With the arm of the side opposite the machine grip the handle with the thumb pointing up.
- Place the arm in front of the body with the elbow bent at a 90 degree angle.
- Avoid arching the back.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Keep the head aligned with the torso.
- Pull the arm out in a circular motion.
- Keep the arm alongside the body with the elbow bent at a 90 degree angle.
Keep the head aligned with the torso. Keep the back straight. Keep the abdominals contracted. Keep the wrists straight. Never lock the knees.