A bodybuilding exercise that concentrates on working the external rotator cuffs of the shoulders. It requires free weights and can be done at home or in the gym training room This exercise is often used to assist recovery after a rotator cuff injury.
- Shoulder External Rotators
- Stand with the feet at shoulder width.
- Hold the weights with the thumbs pointing in.
- Hold the weights alongside the thighs with the arms extended.
- Keep the back straight and the knees lightly bent.
- Pull the shoulders lightly back.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Keep the head straight.
- Pull the weights alongside the body to the hips so that the arms form a 90 degree angle.
- Lift the weights forward in a circular movement to bring it over the head.
- Keep the arms horizontal with the elbows bent at a 90 degree angle.
Keep the head aligned with the torso. Keep the back straight. Keep the abdominals contracted. Never lower past the natural movement of the shoulders. Keep the wrists straight. Never lock the knees.