This is a strength training exercise that targets the deltoids, the middle delts in particular. You are able to do it at home or in a weight training room with the help of free weights. By doing this exercise regularly, you will build muscle, define the side of your shoulder, and trim fat in the arms. It is often used as a rehabilitation exercise following a supraspinatus (upper back) injury, as you are able to effectively isolate the medial deltoids.
- Lay on the floor on the side of the body.
- Place one arm under the head.
- Grip a weight with the other hand with the palm facing down.
- Extend the arm along the body to place the weight on the thigh.
- Keep the legs extended along the side with the knees lightly bent.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Keep the head aligned with the torso.
- Lift the weight on the side with the arm extended vertically.
- Keep the elbow lightly bent.
Never rotate outside of the shoulder. Keep the wrist straight.