Target the back and shoulders with this weight training exercise that can be done at home or at the gym. This exercise will help to strengthen the back of the shoulders, the rotator cuff muscles, as well as the deltoids. You will be able to gain muscle mass with this exercise and it is similar to the bent-over dumbbell row to delts exercise.
- Stand next to a flat bench.
- Place the hand and knee of one side on the bench.
- Keep the back parallel to the bench.
- Keep the other leg on the ground.
- Hold a dumbbell with the free hand with the thumb pointing forward.
- Keep the arm extended vertically.
- Avoid arching the back.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Keep the head aligned with the torso.
- Pull the dumbbell up alongside the shoulder.
- Keep the elbow rigid and lightly bent.
Do not look up. Keep the back straight. Keep the abdominals contracted. Keep the wrist straight.