This fitness exercise works the quads, the gluteal muscles, the hip muscles, and the pelvic muscles. You'll need a step to perform this exercise, but can be done easily at home, or at the gym. It will increase fat loss around the hips and buttocks, and will strength the glutes. The exercise will also help reduce thigh size, whilst working on your balance, by strengtheing stabilizing muscles in the hips. Finally, doing this exercise regularly will reduce the risk of injury.
- Gluteus maximus
- Quadriceps Femoris
- Hip Abductors
- Get in position next to the steps.
- Place the feet at shoulder width.
- Place one foot on a step with the toes pointing out.
- Place the hands alongside the body.
- Keep the back straight.
- Pull the shoulders slightly back.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Keep the head straight.
- Climb a step using only the elevated leg.
- Do not place the other foot on the step.
- Return the other foot to the floor.
- Switch foot positions for the next set.
Always look forward. Never curve the back. Keep the abdominals contracted. Never let the knee pass the front of the toes. Keep the middle of the kneecap aligned with the 2nd toe. Never lock the knees. Keep the weight on the heel of the foot.