This fitness exercise works the quads, the gluteal muscles, the hip muscles and the pelvic floor muscles. This is an equipment free exercise and so can be performed as part of an at home workout, or in a gym setting. Done right, the exercise can help target fat loss around the hips and buttocks, whilst strengthening the glutes. Remember to keep abs engaged throughout the squat.
- Gluteus maximus
- Quadriceps Femoris
- Place the feet at shoulder width.
- Keep the back straight.
- Suck in the stomach and contract the abdominals.
- Cross the arms at shoulder height.
- Keep the head straight.
- The knees should not pass toes.
- Bend with the hips and knees until the legs are parallel with the ground.
- Keep the knees in line with the big toes.
- Lean the torso slightly forward.
- Push with the heels.
Always look forward. Never curve the lower back. Keep the abdominals contracted. Never let the knees pass the toes. Keep the middle of knee caps in line with the 2nd toe. Never lock the knees.