This bodybuilding exercise works the lower back, glutes, and leg muscles (quads and hamstrings). The only equipment you will need is a pair of dumbbells, and it can be done at home or the gym. The exercise will help you gain muscle mass and strength. Strengthening the lower back will help protect your spine, and will improve spinal alignment. This may help if you have back pain. It is a compound exercise, allowing for a faster increase in strength, as well as more muscle gain. Finally, this exercise also helps to develop grip power. Make sure to engage the abs during the movement. A weightlifting belt may be helpful if you feel any back pain.
- Erector Spinae
- Gluteus maximus
- Hold the dumbbells with the palm of your hand facing the floor and position the dumbbells in front of your legs.
- Place your feet in line with your shoulders.
- Keep your back straight.
- Lightly pull your shoulders back.
- Suck in your gut and tighten your abdominals.
- Keep your head in line with your torso.
- Bend the pelvis and the knees to bring the weights close to the floor while keeping the back straight.
- Move the weights down the legs.
- Keep the knees in line.
Always look forward. Never bend the lower back. Keep the abdominals contracted. Keep the shoulder blades tightened. Never let the knees move past the toes. Always keep the knee caps in line with the 2nd toe. Never lock the knees. Always keep the weights as close to the body as possible.