This stretching exercise mainly involves the core muscles such as the obliques, the dorsal muscles and the lumbar muscles. It allows you to acquire a better lateral mobiliy. It is often used by people with chest and lower back pain.
- Erector Spinae
- Stand up with the feet at shoulder width.
- Keep the back straight.
- Keep the head aligned with the body.
- Place the hands on the opposing side of that which is stretched in the back at the level of the opposing hip.
- Place the hand of the stretched side over the head.
- Bend the trunk to the opposite side of the one being stretched.
- Attempt to press the bicep of the top arm on the head.
Do not flex or extend the trunk. Do not rotate the trunk. Remember to stretch the other side.